Strate, a South African Central Securities Depository (CSD), has welcomed the official go-live of South Africa’s newest bourse, ZAR X, after successfully integrating the exchange into Strate’s clearing and settlement platforms. At the beginning of September 2016, the Financial Services Board notified the market that it had granted ZAR X an exchange licence. Strate […]
All too often, good infrastructure goes unnoticed. This is probably one of the reasons why few South Africans know and understand the country’s Central Securities Depository, Strate, however, without it, investors would shy away from South Africa.
Prior to the implementation of Strate in 1999, SA was categorised as one of the worst emerging markets in terms of operational and settlement risk. Trading volumes on the stock exchange were averaging 4,000 trades daily, very thin when this is compared to the 350 000 on average during a month today.
From a Thomas Murray AA- rating, to Strate being ranked among the top Central Securities Depositories globally, click here to view an infographic that tells you all the fast facts that you need to know about Strate.
Strate’s success lies in its independence and good corporate governance. It has continued to be a trusted and independent party in the market, which is evident by Strate offering CSD services to new stock exchanges. At the beginning of September 2016, the Financial Services Board notified the market that it had granted ZARX and […]
With an average of R2.4 trillion bonds under Strate’s custody, Strate’s bond market clients will soon enjoy using one of the best and most-used CSD technologies globally, the TCS BaNCS Market Infrastructure (MI). It will enable the move from older technology ISO15022 standards to ISO20022 standards. Issuers will also be provided with an interface that […]
On Monday 11 July 2016, history was made. The JSE’s equities market, which used to run on a five business day settlement cycle for the past few decades, moved to a new three business day settlement cycle (T+3). This formed part of a project spearheaded by the JSE.
In February, Strate launched a new system for the settlement of money markets securities. The new system was selected for being a world-class CSD solution for the electronic settlement of securities. The implementation of money markets was the first project to be launched that forms part of a wider programme where Strate will […]
Governance. Compliance. Risk. Three words that are well known to any chartered secretary. So when it comes to the post-trade environment and the processing of corporate actions, why should someone in the profession settle for anything less? For close to two decades, Strate has provided the local market with the highest governance standards, compliance […]
One of the most significant risks that has plagued markets since the beginning of time has been that a seller would deliver their securities (equities, bonds, money market instruments), but would not receive payment in return, or that the buyer would make payment and will not receive what they had paid for. This is referred to as Principal Risk. […]
In September last year, Strate had announced that it had selected the TCS BaNCS Market Infrastructure (BaNCS MI) solution to replace its money market, bond and equity depository operations. Development and testing for money markets is underway, with the implementation scheduled for the third quarter of 2015. Strate will then turn to the replacement of its current bonds and equities applications […]
- Companies’ share register information is not restricted by new laws August 1, 2013
- Enhancing Industry Knowledge with Exciting new Content on Strate e-Tutor July 6, 2015
- Liquidity Alliance will Provide Worldwide Collateral Access to T2S December 31, 2014
- South African Financial Blockchain Consortium wins global accolade August 3, 2017
- Strate Collateral Management Services (SCMS): An automated, compliant Tri-Party Collateral solution that completely meets the market’s collateral needs July 24, 2017
- CloudMargin and South Africa’s First Tri-Party Collateral Agent – Strate Collateral Management – Bring Unprecedented Automation, Efficiencies to South African OTC Derivatives Participants July 18, 2017
- Strate: When a company has shareholders, those shareholder...
- Neo: Please assist, Why should a company keep this s...
- Achal Ghai: Yes, I totally Agreed with you. It is too much Tou...
- Best Company To Work For
- Big Data
- Chinese Walls
- Clearing and Settlement Service
- Consumer Education
- Corporate Actions
- Corporate Governance
- CSD Operations
- Distributed Ledger Technology
- Financial Market Development
- Fractal Solutions
- integrated report
- Issuer Connect Newsletter
- Liquidity Alliance
- Mandela Day
- Segregated Depository Account
- Settlement Cycles
- share register (BND)
- social media
- South Africa
- stock exchange
- Strate Charity Shares
- STRATE Supervision
- Strate Talk
- Trade Depository
- World Forum of CSDs
- ZAR X